Thursday, March 14, 2013

Dear Grandparents:

Thank you. Thank you for loving your grandchild with a fire that burns so brightly in each and every smile that you show him. I appreciate your love for Tiny Hunter more than you might know.

I'd like to talk to you for a moment though. You're very aware of how we plan to raise him. You guys know that he sleeps with us, that I plan to breastfeed him until he decides it's time to stop, that we are delaying solids, we absolutely do not believe in crying it out even in the car, that he is not and will not be vaccinated, he is not circumcised, he will only eat organic/pastured food, and I don't want him exposed to phones/computers other than for learning purposes later in life.

So please, STOP.
STOP telling me that it would be okay to mix formula into cereal and let him eat real food.
STOP telling me that 5 months is "old enough" to just "taste" things. I've shown you the medical research as to why it's NOT okay and how things have changed.
STOP telling me that I need to rethink letting him wean himself. He will not be a pervert for breastfeeding past two years old and actually remembering our breastfeeding relationship. He might actually respect women and their bodies because he sees them as functional beings instead of shelf trophies.
STOP telling me how sick he will get if I don't get him vaccinated. Yes he COULD get sick, but everything we vaccinate for is curable and has at least a 90% chance of survival with diligent and prompt care.
STOP telling me that crying is the only way his lungs will develop. They were fully developed at birth and as long as he's eating, he's growing. INCLUDING his lungs. He likes to "talk" to The Great Hunter and I for an hour at a time: his lungs are fantastic.
STOP telling me that he needs to sleep in his crib. I will not suffocate him nor will The Great Hunter. He sleeps quite soundly most of the time so both of us wake at the smallest squeak. Yes, he'll be crawling soon. That's why he sleeps between us; he'll have to wake one of us before he can get out of bed. I don't need to trap him in a wooden cage where he wakes up every hour and almost immediately when I try to lay him down asleep in there.
STOP rolling your eyes when I talk about organic food and filtered water and pasture raised animals. I have literal MOUNTAINS of research showing the harm of eating any of that crap, yes, even JUST ONCE. Don't poison my child because you want to be the awesome grandparent. You already are the awesome grandparent. You will be just for loving him and playing with him as much as you want to. You don't need to give him ice-cream or McDonalds to make him love you or to have special time. If I think you're going to do that? Yes, I will prevent him from going to your house or staying alone with you.

I hope you understand. You did your best to protect us when we were little. Please, respect our wish to do the same for our son.

Love,
The Huntress

No comments:

Post a Comment