Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Fascination.

Since he was born, Tiny Hunter has enjoyed staring at ceiling fans. Today, he lay across my lap, with his head upside-down gazing into the next room at the slowly rotating blades. I watched his face as he did this for almost seven minutes. Then our cats ran past playing tag and he was startled. I sat him up and he lay his head on my chest, and went back to watching the fan. Within three minutes he was soundly asleep.

I watched the fan myself. The shadow cast on the wall and ceiling around it; the toggle swinging back and forth as a tiny pendulum keeping rhythm yet making me lose all sense of time.

Fascinating.

I forgot what it was to have wonder. To marvel at things as simple-to me-as the steam curling off a pot of simmering water. Watching his eyes dart and sparkle until he giggled with pure joy at such a "simple" boiling pot makes me wonder, just what am I doing with my life?

No comments:

Post a Comment